Looking for a women’s only gym or female-friendly fitness center near you? The ideal gym environment can make all the difference in staying motivated and reaching your health and fitness goals. This guide will help you find the best women’s gym close to home.
We’ll cover how to search for gyms designed for women, key features to look for, questions to ask when touring facilities, and reviews of top national gym chains for women. Read on to discover the perfect gym fit for your needs as a female exerciser.
Searching for a Women’s Gym in Your Area
With so many gym options out there, narrowing your search is the first step:
Do a Google search for terms like “women’s gym near me”, “female-only gym + your city”, and “ladies workout gym near me” and see what pops up. Look for gyms touting women-only workout areas or female-focused features.
Check Review Sites
Scan Google reviews or sites like Yelp that let you search for gyms and read feedback on the women’s experience, equipment, classes, and overall vibe. This helps vet quality.
Ask Friends for Recommendations
Word of mouth can identify standout women’s gyms. Ask friends, family, coworkers, and social media contacts for recommendations of gyms they love attending as a woman.
Once you compile a list of promising gyms for women in your area, visit their websites to learn more before touring in person.
Top Features to Look for in a Women’s Gym
As you evaluate nearby gyms, keep an eye out for these female-friendly attributes:
- Women’s Only Sections – Many gyms now include designated areas strictly for women only for privacy and comfort. Lockers, showers, hot tubs, and pools may also be separate.
- Women’s Circuit Training – Circuit machines arranged in a circle make it easy to transition between strength stations. Curved layouts also allow more privacy than rows.
- Abundant Cardio Machines – Having lots of treadmills, ellipticals, exercise bikes, and other cardio gear prevents waiting and crowding.
- Group Fitness Classes – A robust schedule of classes like Zumba, barre, yoga, Pilates, and kickboxing cater to women’s interests. Virtual on-demand classes are a plus.
- Personal Training – Many women prefer working with a female personal trainer who understands women’s health and fitness needs. The availability of female trainers is ideal.
- Women’s Locker Room – Fully equipped locker room with showers, restrooms, vanity areas, and amenities like hair dryers, lotions, and feminine products.
- Pool, Sauna, Hot Tub – Water workouts and areas to relax pre or post-workout appeal to women seeking full-service facilities.
- Safety Features – Well-lit parking, indoor and outdoor surveillance cameras, panic buttons, and security patrols prevent safety concerns.
- Childcare – On-site babysitting or kids programming makes it possible to work out while children are looked after on-premises.
Asking the Right Questions When Touring Gyms
Before joining any gym, take advantage of free tours and trial periods. Come prepared with questions:
- What safety features and precautions are in place?
- Are there women-only workout areas or women’s hours?
- Is the women’s locker room cleaned and stocked regularly?
- How often is equipment cleaned and serviced?
- What kind of orientation and training is offered for new members?
- Is virtual or in-person personal training available from female trainers?
- What is your cancellation and membership freeze policy if I become injured, pregnant, or move?
- Do you offer any senior discounts or student discounts?
- What guest policy do you have if I want to bring a friend?
- How busy does the gym get during morning, noon, and evenings?
- What kind of fitness classes do you offer and what is the schedule?
- Do you have any member social events, challenges, or activities?
- Can I get a tour of all the facilities and amenities?
- What payment plan options do you offer?
Visiting at your typical workout times gives you a feel for the crowds and staff attentiveness. Be sure all your questions are answered before signing anything.
Reviews of Top National Gym Chains for Women
Here are overviews of some of the most popular national fitness chains catering to women:
Planet Fitness – Planet Fitness prides itself on a judgment-free zone welcoming women of all fitness levels. Most locations feature a 30-minute express circuit just for women. Locker rooms are spacious with beauty stations. Membership starts at just $10 a month.
LA Fitness – With premium locations across the U.S., LA Fitness offers expansive facilities including lavish women’s locker rooms. Signature locations feature a women-only gym space. Class schedules include barre, yoga, Zumba, and Pilates.
Orangetheory – The heart rate-monitored group workouts at Orangetheory are designed to appeal to all fitness levels. Women appreciate the energetic yet non-competitive vibe. All locations feature women’s-only locker rooms.
CKO Kickboxing – For women seeking an empowering workout, CKO Kickboxing provides exhilarating kickboxing classes set to motivating music. The community atmosphere helps women feel comfortable letting loose.
Pure Barre – Pure Barre specializes in barre-based workouts that lengthen and strengthen the body through small, targeted movements. Women love the low-impact sculpting using the ballet barre.
CorePower Yoga – With yoga classes spanning hot, sculpt, and slow flow styles, CorePower appeals to women seeking both intense and gentle practices. All studios have women’s locker rooms and showers.
Solidcore – Solidcore offers 50-minute high-intensity Pilates classes that transform the body. The Pilates-inspired work helps women gain mobility, balance, and lean muscle mass.
The Bar Method – Using principles of anatomy and physiology, The Bar Method teaches students how to correctly align their body during low-impact but challenging barre workouts. Classes allow modifications for all levels.
Local community gyms, YMCAs, and recreation centers also cater well to women by offering robust group fitness schedules, aquatics programming, and family amenities. Don’t be afraid to negotiate monthly membership rates to find the best deal.
Evaluating the Pros and Cons of Women’s Gyms
Female-focused gyms provide many advantages but also some potential drawbacks:
- More privacy and reduced self-consciousness
- Equipment scaled for women’s physiques
- Extra amenities like salon services
- Tailored classes for women’s interests
- Childcare makes workouts possible for moms
- Encouraging atmosphere from like-minded exercisers
- Potential to make new friends
- Membership fees may exceed coed gyms
- Pool time may be limited if shared with men
- Less availability of heavy weights for dedicated female lifters
- Some discouragement of male guests
- Limitation of only female trainers
- Potentially less variety of equipment
The ideal gym minimizes cons through equitable policies, varied equipment, and flexibility. But the pros of a comfortable, empowering workout environment just for women make female-focused gyms an increasingly popular option.
Getting the Most from Your Women’s Gym Membership
Once you join a gym tailored to women, be sure to take advantage of all the perks:
- Attend new member orientation and get a personalized fitness assessment
- Try out a variety of classes to find your favorites
- Book time with a trainer to learn proper form and technique
- Create a consistent workout schedule and commit to it
- Bring a friend or family member to introduce them to the gym
- Track your progress and celebrate fitness milestones
- Provide feedback to staff on what you like about the gym and any suggested improvements
- Take advantage of add-ons like spa services, massage, and cafe discounts
- Get to know fellow members to build community and find workout buddies
Investing in a gym membership designed for women provides all the tools, guidance, and support for achieving your greatest health and wellness. Surround yourself with positive people and take pride in investing in yourself. Your dream gym is waiting – go find it!