The New England Center for Healthy Minds is a cutting-edge psychiatric and mental health treatment center based in Mansfield, Connecticut. With advanced neuropsychiatry services and a wide range of therapeutic programming, the Center provides compassionate care for children, adolescents, and adults.
This comprehensive guide will explore the New England Center for Healthy Minds including its specialties, treatment philosophy and modalities, facilities and amenities, typical programs and levels of care offered, payment and insurance options, nearby accommodations for visiting families, and tips for having a successful treatment experience there.
Introduction to New England Center For Healthy Minds
The New England Center for Healthy Minds opened in 2019 and is co-located on the same 142-acre campus as the established Walter Martson Psychiatric Hospital. The Center operates under the umbrella of US HealthVest, a behavioral healthcare company.
What sets the New England Center for Healthy Minds apart is its focus on neuropsychiatry, with treatment personalized to each patient’s unique brain health needs identified through EEG testing and functional MRI scans. Integrative psychiatry services blend medication management with evidence-based therapies and wellness strategies.
The Center provides dedicated care tracks for:
- Adolescents ages 12-17
- Emerging adults ages 18-25
- Adults aged 26+
- Older adults ages 55+
Within each age group, customized treatment plans address specific conditions like addiction, mood disorders, eating disorders, OCD, and anxiety. The scenic campus in northeast Connecticut offers a peaceful setting conducive to healing.
Leading Specialties and Areas of Care
The New England Center for Healthy Minds excels in treating the following primary conditions using innovative approaches:
- Treatment-Resistant Depression
- Suicidality / Self-Harm
- Bi-polar Disorder
- Anxiety Disorders
- Substance Abuse
- Eating Disorders
- Autism / Neurodevelopmental Disorders
Neuropsychiatry services evaluate how well a patient’s brain is functioning and pinpoint brain-based challenges underlying mental health conditions. This brain-centered approach guides treatment using both medication and evidence-based therapies tailored to the needs of each patient’s brain.
Holistic, Patient-Centered Treatment Philosophy
The New England Center for Healthy Minds adheres to a holistic treatment philosophy focused on the unique needs of each mind and brain. Key elements include:
- Thorough neuropsychiatry evaluation
- Data-driven brain-based treatment plans
- Medication management and optimization
- Evidence-based psychotherapy and experiential therapies
- Collaborative family involvement
- Integrative wellness services
- Neurostimulation interventions like TMS and ECT
- Ongoing community support programs
Whether adolescent, adult, or older adult, each patient receives an individualized program to help their mind and brain function optimally. Families are involved in the process to help ensure successful outcomes.
Inpatient, Partial Hospitalization, and Intensive Outpatient Programming
The New England Center for Healthy Minds offers a continuum of care spanning multiple levels of treatment intensity:
- Inpatient Psychiatric Treatment – Round-the-clock care with stays from several days up to several weeks involving med management, therapies, wellness activities
- Partial Hospitalization (PHP) – Day treatment from 8 am-3:30 pm on weekdays with medical oversight, group therapies, skills training, family education
- Intensive Outpatient (IOP) – Structured sessions multiple days per week for several hours per day to transition back home
- Neurostimulation Therapies – Transcranial magnetic stimulation, electroconvulsive therapy
- Medication Management – Ongoing psychiatrist visits to optimize medications after primary treatment
- Outpatient Therapy – Individual and group therapy sessions provided 1-5 days per week
Programming spans inpatient lengths of stay, day treatment, and ongoing outpatient services to ensure continuity of care at the appropriate level needed.
Specialized Therapies and Wellness Services
In addition to psychotherapy and medication management, therapeutic services include:
- Neurofeedback – Using real-time displays of brain activity to help restore optimal brain function
- Biofeedback – Teaching patients self-regulation of stress/emotions using techniques like diaphragmatic breathing
- Art Therapy – Using creative arts like music, art, and dance to process emotions in a healthy way
- Adventure Therapy – Nature-based therapy to build confidence and coping skills
- Life Skills Coaching – Developing practical life skills for work, school, and relationships
- Nutrition Counseling – Education on therapeutic diets and supplements
- Yoga & Mindfulness – Teaching mind-body practices for relaxation and self-care
- Family Therapy – Repairing and strengthening family dynamics
- Neurocognitive Testing – Assessing and treating cognitive deficits
- Aftercare Planning – Structured plans for transitioning back to home life
This broad mix of therapies and life skills programming reinforces sustainable mental wellness beyond active treatment.
Special Track for Emerging Adults
The New England Center for Healthy Minds offers an Emerging Adult Program tailored to ages 18-25. This track recognizes that the developmental stage between adolescence and adulthood comes with unique challenges like new independence, pressure to perform, and lack of life experience.
The Emerging Adult Program provides this age group with:
- Neuropsychiatry Assessment – Examines brain development and mental health status
- Dialectical Behavior Therapy – Teaches emotion regulation and distress tolerance skills
- Medication Management – Psychiatrist helps optimize medication regimen
- Preparation for Adulthood – Life skills coaching and education
- Family Involvement – Restoring family connections and communication
- Aftercare Services – Gradual transition back to home, school, or career
This developmentally appropriate programming helps emerging adults get on track for success in relationships, schooling, jobs, and independence.
Insurance Coverage and Financial Considerations
As an in-network facility with most major insurers, the New England Center for Healthy Minds accepts insurance coverage by:
- Blue Cross Blue Shield
- Beacon Health Options
- United Healthcare
- And more depending on the specific plan
The business office helps verify each patient’s behavioral health benefits, copays, deductibles, and maximums. They can also assist with finance options like:
- Private Pay Rates
- Payment Plans
- Scholarship Funds
Medicare and Medicaid programs are accepted if eligible criteria are met. Even without insurance, flexible payment assistance is available.
Ideal Nearby Lodging for Visiting Families
Since families are encouraged to participate in treatment, the Center maintains a list of high-quality lodging options located within 10-15 minutes of campus. Recommended accommodations range from extended-stay hotels with kitchenettes to fully furnished short-term home rentals.
The admissions department helps coordinate discounted group rates and transportation assistance between lodging and campus for visiting families of patients. This allows immersion in treatment while providing families respite time.
Tips for Getting the Most from Treatment
To have a successful treatment experience at New England Center for Healthy Minds, keep these tips in mind:
- Follow all rules, schedules, and treatment guidelines
- Share feelings and symptoms openly with the treatment team
- Dedicate time to processing traumas or issues underlying your/your loved one’s condition
- Build a collaborative relationship with the psychiatrists, therapists, and clinicians
- Make lifestyle changes like diet, sleep, exercise to support your health
- Learn coping strategies and practice them between sessions
- Participate fully in therapies, activities, and family sessions
- Lean on loved ones for their involvement and support
- Use post-discharge action plans to continue progress at home
With an open, patient, and participatory mindset, the New England Center for Healthy Minds provides a depth of care and a range of services for getting your mental health back on track.